Dog Friendly Activities in Shawi
By Anaïs El Younsi
Want to bring your pooch along during your vacation in Shawi? It’s possible! Parks, beaches, hiking trails, restaurant terraces, accommodation… Here is a list of places where you can stroll in peace with your furry companion.
- Terrace of the Broadway Microbrewery: to enjoy a good beer, while enjoying the superb terrace created from recycled materials. The wooden tables and lights installed under the trees add to the already inviting experience.
- Terrace of the Chenapan restaurant: for a drink and a good meal in downtown Shawinigan, where you will be welcomed by a friendly staff in a beautiful atmosphere. Plus, your dog won’t feel left out!
- Terrasse of Santé Taouk restaurant: for a break in the Shawinigan-Sud sector. Your furry friend can enjoy the terrace, while you savor homemade Lebanese dishes. Bonus: freshness and exceptional value for money!
- Terrasse of the Pacini restaurant: to eat Italian while enjoying an incredible location in the heart of the city center, on the Promenade du Saint-Maurice, as well as a view of the unique Cité de l’énergie and the majestic river.
Psst! Did you know that the creamery ‘Bar Laitier l’Étoile Polaire’ in Shawinigan offers a frozen treat specially designed for dogs? A great reward if your pet behaved well!
- Parc de l’Ile Melville, secteur des chutes : enjoy about 5km for walking and a belvedere with a breathtaking view of the Trou du Diable falls. The falls are to be admired in the spring, but the park is open all year round!
- Saint-Maurice River : equip your dog with a life jacket and enjoy the magnificent landscape on a paddleboard or kayak on the river! In summer, the docks installed on Avenue du Capitaine Veilleux allow easy launching. Don’t own a boat? Go to Parc de l’île Melville to rent one!
- Parc des Piles beach, Saint-Jean-des-Piles sector : your doggy loves to bathe? This beach with access to the Saint-Maurice River will delight the whole family.
- Thibaudeau-Ricard trail: this round-trip route of approximately 3km along the river to Shawinigan Bay is ideal for stretching your legs… and paws!
- Grand-Mère Marina : our resident-ambassador Annik recommends a swim from the wharf, when the boat season is over.
- Parc Récréoforestier de Saint-Mathieu-du-Parc : this 127 km2 park is open all year round to outdoor enthusiasts, and you can even picnic there.
- Sentier pédestre du rapide des Hêtres : this trail offers a short hike of 3 to 4 km, with access to the small Hêtres rapids. Stop to listen to the sound of the falls!
Two dog exercise areas are accessible every day from 7 a.m. to 11 p.m. Bring your furry companion to have fun in a safe space specially designed for this purpose!
- Parc multisport Réal-Dufresne, secteur Shawinigan-Sud : 925, 129e Rue, Shawinigan
- Parc Frank-Gauthier, secteur Grand-Mère : 1250, 3e Avenue, Shawinigan
Several accommodations accept animals (sometimes under conditions, and/or for a small additional amount). Get informed before your stay, so you can take your dog to the campsite or hotel of your dreams!
- Comfort Inn & Suites Shawinigan: $25 fee per stay.
- Hôtel Énergie Shawinigan: $10 per day fee (dogs are allowed only in rooms with wood floors).
- Hôtel Marineau Shawinigan: free (dogs are only allowed in rooms on the ground floor).
- Auberge La Rocaille: 10$ fee per day.
- Camping Nature Nature (previously called Camping Mauricie): $30 fee for 1 dog and $45 for two dogs per stay. A maximum of 2 dogs per rental is allowed in the establishment.
- Camping Douce Évasion: $2 fee per day per dog to be paid in cash, maximum 2 dogs per rental.
- Camping du Parc de l’ile Melville: free, maximum 2 dogs per rental.
- Camping Rouillard: 2.50$ fee per day per dog.
- Camping Otamac: no additional charge.
- Camping du Parc à Saint Mathieu du Parc: no additional charge.
The best thing is to always inform yourself before you go, to avoid unpleasant surprises and enjoy a peaceful stay!
Everywhere, politeness apply: we keep our doggies on a leash when requested, we pick up their poop at all times, and we make sure that they do not disturb the tranquility of the place. After that, all you have to do is enjoy with your dog in Shawi!!!